The Qlik Extension for Ping allows users to quickly create an alert directly from the dashboard. The Extension needs to be placed on the dashboard sheet by the developer and presents as a button that will fit in one default grid square of space in the dashboard.
The extension flow
- When a user clicks on the extension icon in a dashboard a pop-up window will appear. The first stage of the process is for the Ping extension to connect to the Ping server to check connectivity and check that the Qlik user is also a licensed user in Ping.
- If the user is identified as a licensed Ping user the create alert button will activate and show as red.
- If the user is not identified as a licensed Ping user, or the extension is not able to connect to the Ping server for any reason (e.g. no access to network as VPN not enabled), an error message will appear asking the user to contact their Ping support contact and providing the email address to contact as setup by the developer..
- If the user is authorised, they will be guided through the process of creating an alert.
- Enter a name for the alert
- Select the object on the dashboard from which to choose a measure.
Note: to create an alert on a measure that is not presented in an object on the dashboard use the Ping web portal.
- Select from the measures available in that object
- Select the condition type and enter condition thresholds etc (this includes and/or conditions)
- Select the drill into dimension field which allows you to check your condition across values in a dimension. For example, checking all locations at the same time to already start the analysis process of where the issue is occurring.
- Review and create the alert in Ping.
To ensure the process is as simple as possible for end users we have used default values for some of the settings of an alert in the Qlik extension. These can be easily updated in the alert record after creation using the URL link provided at the end of the create alert process.
The following are the default options purposefully designed into the extension:
- Filters are set as a bookmark on the current selections at the time of creating the bookmark (
introduced in version 2019.02.03).
- The schedule of the alert is set to on reload as this is by far the most common choice for users. This can be updated to any time based schedule in the edit alert view of the Ping web portal.
Update 2019-08-02: We are working on extending the functionality available in the extension to include selecting from existing bookmarks, more scheduling options, and notification frequency settings.
- Import the extension into the Qlik Sense Management Console. You will need to contact your administrator if you do not have access to the QMC.
- Navigate to the dashboard and sheet where you wish to place the extension.
- In the edit view of the dashboard sheet, either as the developer or as a My Sheet for a user, you can access the extensions from the Custom Objects > Extensions options selections on the left hand menu.
- Place the Ping Alerting extension, drag and drop from the extensions library, onto the grid and into the desired position.
- Bring up the properties for the extension. Click on the extension and the properties will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
- In the admin settings section, update the contact email for support email address so users are guided to whom they should contact in your organisation if there is a problem with their connection to Ping, such as the Qlik Sense user does not have a license in Ping.
- In the Ping server settings section, update the details of the Ping server:
- Update the Ping URL connection with server name (FQDN) or IP of the Ping server. This will be the address with which you can open the Ping web portal in a web browser. Do not specify http:// or https:// nor the port in this field.
- Update the Ping connection HTTP Port and/or the Ping Connection HTTPS port with the correct ports as specified during the setup of the Ping server. This is the port that is part of the address you use to open the Ping web portal in a web browser.
- Check the https box to force only secure connections through https.
If you are an admin on your Qlik Sense site, and are comfortable with the extension editor in the dev hub, you can adjust the default values in the extension for all users who subsequently place the extension on their dashboards (removing the steps above for the user).
Follow the simple steps below but note you will need to repeat these steps each time you update the extension. Row references may change slightly but the order will remain the same.
- Open the Ping Alerting extension in the Qlik Sense Dev Hub
- Navigate to the PingAlerting.js file
- On row 70 the defaultValue entry for the contact email for support field can be changed to your admin email address.
- On row 86 the defaultValue entry for the Ping URL Connection field can be updates with the FQDN or IP of the Ping server.
- On row 90, the defaultValue entry for the Ping Connection HTTP Port field can be updated with the correct port number for HTTP connections to your Ping server.
- On row 94, the defaultValue entry for the Ping Connection HTTPS Port field can be updated with the correct port number for HTTPS connections to your Ping server.
- On row 98, the defaultValue entry for allow HTTPS should be set to false if you wish to allow HTTP connections or true to force an HTTPS connection.
- Save the PingAlerting.js file, refresh your browser connection to Qlik Sense and the next time you drag the extension onto a dashboard sheet the new default values will appear.
Note: this does not change the values entered in any previously placed instances of the extension. It will only affect newly placed versions of the extension.
- The create alert button doesn’t activate but I am a licensed user in Ping?
This can be caused by a browser security exception. Check if the following options can be used to resolve this issue:
- Please check your browser to see if it is blocking ‘unsafe scripts’. On Google Chrome this shows as a shield icon in the right hand side of the URL bar. Click on this and allow click allow unsafe scripts.
- To setup Ping to use a trusted certificate should remove this security exception, read this page for more details.
- You could also set the extension to run as HTTP (uncheck the HTTPS checkbox in the extension object settings), and access your Qlik Sense dashboard using HTTP,